Followers

Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Little Bling for my Chair {Pillow Tutorial}

Remember that cute chair that I posted the other day with the fun Green Apple Rustoleum?  It needed a little bling---and a little cushioning!  I found some super cute fabric at JoAnn's that was perfect, and  I have tons of pillows that I could use as an insert. 

For the sewing:  and, yes, this is something EVERYONE can do.  I was fortunate enough to learn to sew in high school--and have loved it ever since!  I think this is a great skill for everyone to learn--and there are tons of great tutorials all over the internet, plus fabric stores all over offering beginner classes!  The best part and secret:   you can make this pillow without even sewing if you are absolutely opposed :) !!!

For most pillows, you can get away with a third to a half yard of fabric.  I wanted a larger pillow, so I used a half yard--and my fabric was on sale!!!!  I "measured" the pillow---placed the pillow that I wanted to use on top of the fabric and made sure I could use that pillow.  (If you can fold the fabric over twice and have some left over, it should work!)  This is just a basic envelope style pillow cover!


I folded both of the short edges over(wrong sides together), pinned, and sewed.  (This is the secret:  if you don't sew, you could use fabric glue or an iron-on hem adhesive strip.) 
 



I wanted to show you this little tip because I love these little circles! These show the colors that were used in the pattern---makes it so easy to match fabrics!!!
 

Once both of those edges are sewn together, I brought one end towards the middle (right sides together) --about 5 inches from the middle.  Then I folded the other edge towards the middle, also 5 inches from the middle.  These edges should overlap in the middle.  Pin and sew each of the edges.  You're done!  FOUR seams!!!  (If you are gluing or ironing, make sure you attach all three layers.  And I would ONLY recommend gluing or ironing if the pillow will not be used!)


Take the cover and turn right sides out and stuff the pillow inside!!!  EASY!! This is a great beginner's project--and great for our young friends who are learning to sew!! 

I love the way it turned out!  It brought so much fun color to my very beige, brown, and blah front porch!!
 

Thank you for my friends and my faithful followers!  I have several things I will be announcing very soon--something for my teacher friends and something for all my friends!  As school is rapidly approaching (so not ready!), I wanted to let you know what to expect as I transition into the school year!   I started my Trippin' Tuesday posts this past week.  Those will continue.   We are a travel loving family, and some of the posts will be actual trips that we take while others will be "if I could get away, this is where we would go." Starting this week, I will introduce my WTW (What's Trendy Wednesday) and That's Pinteresting Thursday.  Coming soon will be my Crafty Kids posts---easy craft projects to do with your little ones as well as your not so little ones!  I will continue to post the crazy things I come up with to do in my home.  Until then....
 







No comments:

Post a Comment