Followers

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fourth of July Mantel Sneak Peek

Fourth of July is NEXT WEEK?!?!?!  How did that happen???  I feel like I just got out of school last week...but a whole month has passed!!  Geeeeesh!!!!  I guess I better get busy and get festive!  Most years I decorate for the Fourth in royal blue, bright red, white, and lots of sparkle.  This year, I wanted to go a little more rustic.  Go figure?!?!  So, I chose navy blue, barn red, and tan.  I'm still painting and putting all the pieces together, but I had to show y'all the garland I made.


Off to HobLob I went.  When I got there, I saw that they had already put out fall stuff.  (Confession:  I got a little excited.  Now that I live in Alabama, and we actually kind of have a fall, I really love it!)  I turned the corner of the aisle...and saw it....CHRISTMAS!!  Yep, almost threw up!  So not ready for Christmas!!  Back to my Fourth plans:  I started with 3 pieces of fabric, 1/4 yard each.  (Of course, it was on sale!)  I already had some thick jute twine.  Pinwheels are so popular right now...so they were a great place to start! I found a box that was the size square I wanted to use and cut 18 squares out of the fabric.  Then, I glued two pieces together using liquid stitch.  (Glue wrong sides together; you could easily use tacky glue, fabric glue, or even hot glue.)  




I let the squares dry and trimmed them.  Then I cut the squares starting at the corners towards the center.  You want to make 4 triangular flaps, but leave a small square uncut in the center.   Then, I took a corner brought it to the center and put a dot of hot glue.  I continued doing that with the other 3 corners, then glued a button in the center.




After the 9 pinwheels were glued, I then hot glued them to the jute twine.  It still needed something, so I took the scraps from the squares and cut them into strips.  Then I tied the strips between the pinwheels.  I think the whole process took less than an hour, and I had a cute custom garland!




Here is the final product.....





It's just a start...but it's looking a little bit like the Fourth to me!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment